2018 Chardonnay Clone 95
Clone 95 from Duncan Vineyard on the Naramata Bench & Gentleman Farmer Vineyard in SE Kelowna.
The grapes are hand harvested and whole bunch pressed. Fermented and aged in French oak barrels for 10 months, using a combination of standard barrels and puncheons. 40% new oak & partial malolactic fermentation.
Premium Chardonnay made from prized blocks of low yielding clone 95, a superior clone originating from the Côte d’Or, France. Bold aromas of ripe stone fruit, preserved lemon, and butterscotch. Bright acidity and wet stone brush the palate, then complimented with a creamy finish and lingering notes of brazil nut and brioche.
Enjoy now or cellar 3 to 5 years.
576 cases produced
Gold - 2020 All Canadian Wine Championships
90. This is a lean, vibrant and quite intense chardonnay from estate vineyards in East Kelowna. It is made from a single clone of chardonnay. It pours fairly deep lemon. The nose is very intense with spice, toast, wood smoke, a buttery/cheesy note from partial malolactic fermentation and peach and lemon fruit. It is medium-full bodied, edgy with some sourness, great acidity and excellent length. Full throttle but not heavy. ~ David Lawrason - Wine Align
91. Nice reductive, fresh style with flint, popcorn, nut, white peach, nectarine, lemon zest and lemon verbena. Crisp, medium bodied and fresh with zippy acidity, subtle oak and nut, more stone fruit, lemon and zest and a long finish. Oct 2019. ~ Rhys Pender, MS
92. This wine was fermented in barrel and then aged 10 months in French oak barrels and puncheons (40% new). This is a lovely wine with a crystal clear focus on the fruit. The oak is quite subdued, evident just as a touch of vanilla in the aroma and flavour. The lead role is taken by zesty and refreshing flavours of pineapple and apple mingled with hints of butter. ~ John Schreiner on Wine
89. Clone 95 is a variation of the chardonnay grape that comes from the Burgundy region of French, which is celebrated for its low yields and high quality, flavourful fruit. This complex chardonnay is produced by SpearHead with Clone 95 vines from the Duncan Vineyard on the Naramata Bench and the winery’s estate in Kelowna. Fermented and aged for 10 months in French oak barrels of different sizes and maturity (including 40 per cent new barrels), this offers attractive pear, apple and citrus notes alongside toasty and nutty notes. Drink now to 2025. ~ Christopher Waters – Globe and Mail
89. A blend of clone 95 Chardonnay grapes sourced from the Naramata Bench and the winery's home vineyard in East Kelowna, fermented and aged in oak (40% new) and allowed (or encouraged) to go through a secondary, malolactic fermentation. The resulting wine is crisp (as all Chardonnay should be), well-balanced, smooth and rich without ever feeling over-done or heavy. Look for both refreshing notes of acidic, orchard fruit and savoury, flavours of macadamia nuts and vanilla-kissed scones. Ready to go now, though, it should hold for 2-3 more years. Sealed with a Stelvin cap to lock-in freshness. Drink now-2023. ~ Liam Carrier - IconWines
89. Clone 95 is a unique bottling of a single French clone grown on two very different sites, one on the Naramata Bench the other on Spearhead's home site in southeast Kelowna. It is a very stylish chardonnay, and fun drink from its mineral, leesy, hazelnut nose flecked with ripe, pear to its creamy textures and flavourful ripe red apple and preserved lemon palate. It's fermented and aged in French oak for ten months in a combination of smaller standard barriques and larger format puncheons. No rush to drink, but it's in great shape already. ~ Anthony Gismondi on Wines