2018 Pinot Noir Cuvée
Fruit sourced from Golden Retreat Vineyard in Summerland and our estate in South East Kelowna.
Pinot Noir clones 777, Pommard, 828 & 667, Mt Eden & 115 are separately hand harvested, destemmed to small batches and cold soaked for 5-7 days before fermentation by indigenous yeasts. The total time on skins is 16 to 21 days. After gentle pressing, the wine completes malolactic fermentation and is aged 13 months in French oak barrels (40% new).
Intense flavours of blueberry, blackberry, and wild flowers followed by more black fruit and hints of baked thyme and field mushrooms. The texture is juicy and soft with a long finish. Pair with mushroom risotto or grilled trout.
Cellar up to 10 years.
450 cases produced.
Platinum - 2020 BC Lieutenant Governor’s Wine Awards
Silver - 2021 Decanter World Wine Awards
92. The fruit is between bright red cherry and something darker, with earthiness and forest in the wings, and oak nicely fitted (French oak for 13 months). It feels complete and almost seamless, tannins youthfully active but behaved, alcohol in check. Excellent focus and length. I would age it a year or two to expand, but an hour of aeration might achieve the same result. ~ David Lawrason - Wine Align
92. Talk about pinot noir that presses all the buttons and triggers all sorts of emotions. A wealth of doubly ripe fruit is met with just the right amount of tension to strike accords, at hearts and elicit aromatic memories that speak to the child in all of us. Forget single-vineyards, micro-plots and Climats talked about ad nauseum. Pour us a great cuvee and we'll show you a great cuvee. Drink 2020-2025. ~ Michael Godel - Wine Align
92. This is a ripe, flashy, dark-fruited pinot from the Okanagan, very west coast in style, which is too say deeply fruity, plummy, polished, with a sheen of oak-derived coffee bean flavour and broad, plush texture. Tannins are supple and velvety, and acids gentle but sufficiently perky to keep things fresh. Very good length. I'd tuck in the cellar for another 2 years or so to develop a little more of that beguiling earthy pinot character. Very nicely made. ~ John Szabo, MS - Wine Align
94. This is a complex and full-flavoured wine. To begin with, six clones are blended into the cuvée: 30% Dijon 777, 28% Pommard, 18% Dijon 828, and 8% each of Dijon 115, Dijon 667 and Mt. Eden. The wine was aged for 13 months in French oak barrels (40% new). Dark in colour, the wine begins with aromas of ripe raspberries, cherries and blueberries. The rich palate delivers all those fruits along with plum and spice. ~ John Schreiner on Wine
Fleshy, perfumed, silky.
Located in South East Kelowna and specializing in cool-climate varieties, Spearhead continues to excel under winemaker Grant Stanley, who makes this blend of Dijon and Pommard (and a splash of Mt. Eden) clone grapes and matures it in for 13 months in French oak. This vintage is notably riper than the previous. Cherries and black raspberry, dried orange peel and tealeaf, star anise, vanilla liqueur, cedar chips and lilacs perfume the nose. The palate is earthier; silky with tangible oak influence, it shows good levity and persistence. This is no shy Pinot, it has a fleshy and robust character. ~ Daenna Van Mulligen - WineDiva
91. Appearance: Bright. Semi-opaque. Medium-dark, brick red colour. Nose: Cherry, raspberry, vanilla, and floral aromas. Hints of pepper spice and smoke. Palate: Medium acid, medium tannin, medium body. Dry. Cherry, raspberry, and light plum flavours. Black peppercorn, cedar, green pepper, and a hint of smoke. Well balanced. Quality: 91 points. Drink now or hold 2-3 years. Food Pairing: Mongolian meatball ramen, gnocchi with truffled mushrooms, carpaccio with mustard sauce, glazed ham with pineapple and cloves, and rack of lamb with olive tapenade. ~ Tony Aspler - My Wine Canada
91. SpearHead's flagship Pinot Noir is a barrel select blend of multiple clones and vineyard sites and checks all the right boxes for an outstanding BC Pinot Noir; brooding cherry notes, earth and forest tones, smoky tannins and wildberry acidity. Put this beauty down for 2 more years to further integrate and mature. Drink 2022-2028. ~ Liam Carrier - IconWines